Monday, March 5, 2012

Well I have had my time to digest what happened in the game yesterday and I figured now is as good a time as any to get it going on my blog... First and foremost, a very impressive win yesterday with the absence of one Ryan Callahan for the 3rd straight game and who Ek is calling perhaps the best "C" in the game. Do you agree with that assessment? If yo haven't seen it, check out his article on hockeybuzz. Cally to me is the true heart and soul of a heart and soul type team, he personifies everything a current NYR rangers stands for, grit, determination, hard work, guts, skill, and a whole host of other attributes. Even though we have been able to get points and win games without him, the team truly misses him for sure and needs him back asap...

So onto my thoughts of the game yesterday. I don't want you to think i am trying to steal Carp's way of blogging, but its just a lot easier to put bullet points and opposed to writing an article type blog.. So Carp I thank you for generating the idea and I hope its ok that I do it with my own style and flair..

- Let's start by talking about Hank. We know he has been nothing short of spectacular for us all season, but as of late he seems to be fighting the puck. Back in the past when Hank was playing to the levels of his career stats and not playing off the charts like he is this year, the only way you could beat him was high. He was always the best far and away down low in the league, but glove side and stick side high, he couldn't stop a pee wee league player. This year he has remedied that problem a bit which is why his GAA is significantly lower then in years past, but as of late he seems to be getting back to his old ways. maybe the HBO real sports interview was on his mind or the concerts he does were preoccupying his thoughts, but whatever it is, he better start to focus, get his wind back and start playing the same way he has all season or it could be an early exit out of the playoffs for the NYR..

- Let's talk a bit about Gabby, he is currently riding a 3 game goal scoring streak which he has done only twice before this season.. Gabby has 5 two goal games and 22 one goal games so far this season yet it feels as if he is as inconsistent as a minor league fringe player. He has been highly relevant in a lot of games, but has disappeared off the score sheet on way to many occasions for my liking.. Here is to hoping that he finds the consistency we need down the stretch and into the playoff run. If he has to go quiet for a few games to get his head back, them let it be this month and not next, need him firing on all cylinders for sure..

- Now let's talk a bit about the defense and what I see happening.. I think we have a tired crew out there. I think the 25+ minutes a night is starting to wear on girardi and Mac, and delz picking up a knock certainly had something to do with his being tired and not being able to fight off the bump that jarred him into the net.. Girardi seems to be making a few more boneheaded passes of late, which is very uncharacteristic of him for sure. Unlike everyone else, I don't think Marc Stall is playing nearly as good as he should by now and he is nowhere near where he was last year. He is still very tentative on the puck in his zone, not decisive enough and getting beat off the puck which rarely happened last year. He seems to be a bit scared of serious contact and is going to have to get over that come April for sure... I can't say much about Stralman, Bickell, Woywitka, Eminger, etc as they are really fill ins and have done their jobs admirably when asked for the most part...

- Tuesday starts another 3 games in 4 nights on the road starting with the NJD, then off to Ottawa, then to the Windy City. I would expect to see hank in Net against NJD, then Marty against Ottawa and Hank again against the hawks. We always have trouble in Canada so that will be a tough one, you know Jersey will come out fired up and the Hawks in Chicago will be a tough one, so if we could get 4 out of 6 points I think I would be happy... Thoughts???

One last thing and this it totally off the topic of Hockey. I want to congratulate Rory Mcilroy on his Honda Classic win and becoming the number one golfer in the world. It was well deserved as he played a tiger like tourney even with Tiger charging from behind yesterday. Rory went out and shot 66,67, 66, 69 which is amazingly consistent and purely flawless. When Tiger was playing in his prime it was rare for him to shoot ultra low scores like he did yesterday (62 which marked his lowest final round score ever), and Rory did exactly that, he put together four really solid if not spectacular round of golf and made a tough golf course(I would know as I have played it about a dozen times) look moderate.. Congrats for sure, now you have to get your Girlfriend to win a major and you will be the power couple of Sports, the Brad and Angelina of the professional sports ranks.. Can't wait to see that day..


E-No Out for Now......

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eric, I have been hoping that you would answer my inquiries about your comments on Chris Kreider. I have been a huge fan of this kid since I saw him play in the beanpot tournament in Boston in 2010. You claimed that you had "sources" who said negative things about Chris. I was wondering if you would elaborate. I can't imagine as an amateur blogger that you have to protect sources?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PJK,
    I thought I responded back to your last inquiry but I guess you did not see it. My source is someone who is close to BC, someone who is close to a family member of mine who I would trust with anything in life. The source is not saying that CK is a bad player nor is he or I being negative, but what he is saying and I was trying to explain in my blog is that he is "RAW" and might need some fine tuning before being ready for the big leagues. When I watched his interview during the game against Boston in Boston, Ck did not look at all excited about the prospect of joining the NYR. Hockey is similar to Baseball in that the kids that get drafted usually choose to go pro immediately whether that turns out to be a mistake or not, time is the only measure. Again I will tell you that according to my connection, he believes that CK is not yet ready to make an impact and sees him about a year away... My argument was throw him in the Nash deal if the deal was right which looking back on it, would have never worked out anyway. If you traded CK for Nash, you know you are going to get 60-70+ points out of RN every year for the next 5+ years, and with CK, the possibility that he is not what everyone thinks is there.. The NYR believe in him and lets hope that he does turn out to be what he is hyped to be... Thanks for the comments, please pass it along to all your friends and lets keep a good chat.. Talk soon..

    Eric

    ReplyDelete